But there are also cosmetic products that conform to the international standard of natural and organic cosmetics - COSMOS-standard, (Manyo Factory has got this type of certification, see the photo on the left). Manufacturers of such cosmetics meet all international standards and requirements they are imposed. This cosmetic products carry on a label with the distinctive marking “COSMOS ORGANIC” or “COSMOS NATURAL”. In other words, these trademarks ensure products of appropriate quality and compliance in the production of certain established and generally accepted standards of natural and organic cosmetics.
DIFFERENCES BETWEEN ORGANIC AND NATURAL COSMETICS
Natural cosmetics can be called any cosmetic product which includes ingredients of natural origin. It should be clearly understood that the percentage composition of these natural ingredients can be very different. Components of natural origin can be both vegetable and animal or marine ingredients, such as chicken fat – source of collagen of animal origin. Accordingly, the fact that various natural components are good and/or safe for health can be very controversial.
- Organic cosmetics is composed of ingredients, grown and collected in ecologically pure environment, processed and packaged using technologies that are completely safe for human health and do not harm the environment.
- The ingredients are derived from plants that are grown in ecologically clean territories of our planet or on a specially prepared and purified places, without the use of chemical fertilizers, synthetic drugs and technologies;
- Raw materials are harvested by hand and processed without the use of chemical technologies, thoroughly saving the properties and elements of each active ingredient;
- The production itself is absolutely safe for the environment, and the products are not tested on animals;
- Organic cosmetics may not contain synthetic products and artificial ingredients – preservatives, silicones, parabens, fragrances, dyes and so on. To save the properties of such cosmetics and ensure its safety, the manufacturers use vegetable natural preservatives – benzoic, salicylic and sorbic acids extracted from plants, essential oils and vitamin E;
- Organic cosmetics must contain 95% ingredients of organic origin. Only 5% of ingredients can be synthetic maximum, but the synthetics used need to be necessarily permitted by bio-standards. This synthetics are needed in the production of ingredients as there are simply no natural replacements;
- Organic cosmetic products also meet the highest requirements for the packging and it must be produced from environmentally friendly bio-degradable materials that can protect cosmetics from the interaction of external factors and which can guarantee the stability of the properties and chemical composition of the finished product.
From all the above we can see that organic cosmetics are very much different from conventional "natural" cosmetics. But what impact is it having and is there a required effect in its impact?
The effectiveness of natural and organic cosmetics
Using organic cosmetics by its definition gives you a guarantee, at least, a certain level of safety for your health. If to compare it with the "grandma's" recipes, it also should effectively help in dealing with our skin problems due to the therapeutic properties of natural ingredients. But can it really deal effectively with our daily challenges? Many skeptics claim that organic cosmetics can not cope with major challenges. But all the scientific research and experiments prove the otherwise. The efficiency of organic cosmetics is a proven fact that has been confirmed by many domestic and foreign researchers and research laboratories.
Another misconception is that many believe that due to the use of natural ingredients organic cosmetics have a short shelf life. This, of course, is not true. In nature there is a huge amount of natural antiseptics that help organic cosmetics be preserved for a long period of time.
Is the organic cosmetic safe?
Real organic cosmetics are completely safe for нour health. Of course, there is the possibility of issues with individual perception of the natural ingredients that go into its composition. People with sensitive skin and being prone to allergies for plants, suggest, before you use a product, apply a small amount on the back side of your wrist or inner bend of the elbow, and watch for the reaction of the skin at least one day.
Generally, the only disadvantage of the organic cosmetics is the expensive price. Production of such cosmetics incurrs high expenses, therefore the prices of organic cosmetics is usually higher than usual. But before you quit using organic cosmetics because of its high cost it is worth remembering about your health.
How to make the right choice?
When buying the organic cosmetics, be sure to pay attention to see the well known signs of the true organic product. This will protect you from making the wrong choices, as there are millions of product offers that are truly natural only in words and advertising slogans.
Remember, the true organic cosmetics must meet the following criteria:
- White or colorless (light) composition of cosmetics, as there are no dyes;
- Organic cosmetics do not contain synthetic petrochemicals and artificial ingredients – preservatives, silicones, parabens, fragrances, dyes;
- Only plant-based natural preservatives – benzoic, salicylic and sorbic acid isolated from plants and essential oils and vitamin E are use for the preservation of organic cosmetics;
- Pharmacy or herbal smell, but also fruity and floral scents, if there are essential oil;
- Cleansing means in a little foam, since there is no foaming chemicals, but the lack of foam does not diminish with washing and caring properties of cosmetic product;
- Due to the lack of chemical thickeners and solvents liquid emulsion can be divided into layers. Therefore shake well such products before use;
- Organic cosmetics labels have to contain a complete list of components included in its composition;
- Discreet and recyclable packaging. The packaging should have passed the biopreparations, using only paper, biodegradable plastic and rarely glass, all labels are applied with vegetable dyes;
- Organic cosmetics are never tested on animals, as evidenced by an appropriate symbol on the package.
Organic cosmetics manufacturers social responsibility
Very often, the manufacturers of organic cosmetics are active for the protection of the environment and strongly promote the use of environmentally friendly technologies.
Knowing this, you will always be assured not only in the quality of the chosen cosmetics, but also be able to contribute in saving the environment and restoring the natural resources of our planet!
Environmental certification of organic cosmetics Manyo Factory
Soil Association Certification Limited Symbol Programme
USDA NOP Organic production method
COSMOS ECOCERT - Verfication of the raw materials conformity to the ecocert and cosmos cosmetic standards
ECOCERT Greenlife NATURAL AND ORGANIC COSMETICS